You will need:
Confidence in your group to know they will do this sensibly!
How it works:
Pupils evaluate their reports and focus on their areas for improvement
After, they work with a class peer (someone who will be honest and not rude but who is in class with them) and they evaluate their peers report and overall school performance . They need to answer the follow questions or similar:
- What are your partners strengths?
- What are their areas of improvement based on their report alone?
- What are their areas for improvement based on how they are during lessons?
- How could they improve/ further enhance their report? Set a goal!
This will encourage pupils to firstly listen to their peers but will also paint a picture of how they come across to the rest of the class.
I did this with my form last year before LRD and the information they got back was very eyeopening. Some examples were:
- “You misbehave a lot during RE and this is quite distracting, even to me”
- “You are always talking to your neighbour, all the time!”
- “I didn’t even know you were in my class, you don’t really participate!”
- “You need to put your hand up more and answer questions, you’re really clever!”
Give it a go, it’s a great idea BUT only if your group are capable of doing this sensibly!